Dealing With Difficulty

I don’t know about you, but I’m definitely a problem fixer. I guess I should rephrase that, if it’s something I care about, I’m a problem fixer! I just hate it when things aren’t the way I want them to be. Do you get that ever? If something is off, you have to do all that you can do to make it right. And hear me out, this isn’t always a bad thing at all! It reveals that you care about what is wrong, but being a “fixer” when things are wrong can definitely be a bad thing.

This past semester I took Greek. Easily the most frustrating and difficult course I have ever taken in my life. I was constantly confused, frustrated, and at times disappointed in myself. I wasn’t always understanding everything, and even when I would try and study hard, there would still be so much that I didn’t fully comprehend. It’s like I could never win and it would never end!

But don’t we get like that? We are in a season where life is difficult, we try and fix it, and even after putting in our best effort we are frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, and sometimes even shameful. Here me out, sometimes we need to get out of our seat and fix some things, but if our only indication to fix a situation is that it isn’t ideal, that doesn’t mean we should necessarily try and fix it. Greek is hard. No matter how hard I tried, it is really really hard. Does that mean I let up and be lazy? No, of course not. But I had to understand that Greek is supposed to be hard. It’s not seen as some simple thing you pick up! But since it was unsettling to me and it was hard, I thought I could make it easy. Bottom line: Greek is hard because it’s supposed to be hard.

Maybe life is hard for you right now. You don’t have any clue what God wants you to do. You’re scared about making a decision because you don’t know what will happen. You don’t know what else you can do. You’ve don’t everything you could have done and things still aren’t where you want them to be.

My point is that trying to fix it might not help. I’m not sure what it is for you, but your hard situation could be completely out of your control. Adversity doesn’t always indicate that you need to act. We need to understand that some things are supposed to be difficult. And sometimes our response to fix what is difficult actually makes the situation even more difficult.

Now maybe you’re life is difficult, but it’s difficult because of something obvious that you did. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about difficult seasons in life that are out of our control but we have convinced ourselves that we can do something about it. You can’t. It’s supposed to be hard, God wants it to be hard for you right now. And you trying to make it less hard on yourself is you not trusting that God can get you through it. I know we like to justify things and show how we think we are helping, but we have to take a step back. You aren’t helping anything, you’re hurting everything. It’s not our job to ease the fatigue, we aren’t qualified to do that.

It’s not like Jesus didn’t know the disciples were in a life threatening situation when they were in the boat in the middle of the storm. I’m pretty sure God knew and understood the hardship of David when he was literally running for his life as King Saul wanted to kill him. God certainly understood the hardship, pain, and suffering that Jesus endured on the cross. He saw exactly how they were suffering and did not stop it. Why? Because He had purpose in those suffering moments, even as innocent people who didn’t do anything to deserve being in the situations they were in. If there was an alternative plan with a greater purpose, God would choose it. But you going through what you’re going through is evidence that God is taking you on route to what is the best.

God is fully aware of the situation you are in right now. He cares for you so much that He’s putting you through it because you wouldn’t be all that He wants you to be if He would just make it easy. Never ask God for life to be easier, ask God to help you trust Him more. He hasn’t EVER made any decision that wasn’t for your fullest joy. Ever. It’s going to be okay.

There are no comments.

Add a Comment